Retainers become vital when you go through any orthodontic treatment. Your teeth can move even after the treatment until they get settled in their place, and the bone densifies again. Once your orthodontic treatment is done, your dentist offers you certain types of retainers. You can choose them as per your needs and budget. Orthodontic retainers are categorized as fixed and removable. If you are visiting your dentist for orthodontic treatment in the coming days and looking for the pros and cons of both types of trainers, then this blog is for you.
Why Are Retainers Important?
Retainers are important after your orthodontic treatment to make sure that your teeth get settled completely. If you do not wear the retainers, all the work done by the dentist to help you get your beautiful smile back will be for nothing.
Now, let’s talk about the types of retainers:
A fixed retainer is also known as a permanent retainer or bonded retainer. As they are placed on the backside of the teeth, people can’t see them when you smile or talk. Usually, fixed retainers are placed just on 4 to 6 teeth as these teeth tend to move back to their original place when the orthodontic treatment is complete. Fixed retainers don’t allow your teeth to move once they are placed.
- As fixed retainers are placed on your teeth indefinitely and permanently. This ensures that your front teeth don’t shift after the treatment is done.
- There is no issue of compliance as fixed retainers cannot be removed once placed by your dentist.
- Fixed retainers look aesthetically pleasing as they are placed on the back side of the teeth, so the person does not need to hesitate while talking and smiling.
- It’s hard to keep your fixed retainers clean when the food is stuck in the teeth. If you fail to clean them, there are more chances of buildup that can cause gum problems.
- Flossing seems harder to fixed retainer users as the wire is glued onto the teeth. A person needs to invest in a water flosser and even floss threaders.
- With fixed retainers, you need to be more careful while eating crunchy and hard foods, as they can cause breakage of wires. If this happens, you should contact your dentists immediately to prevent any issues with your teeth and gums.
Well, the best thing about removable retainers is that they can be removed whenever you want, especially while eating or drinking. They are made up of transparent and clear plastic.
- When you wear removable retainers, you can floss and brush easily, and you don’t need to use any special tools to keep your teeth clean.
- You can have customization in removable retainers with a cool color and design.
- Removable retainers are cosmetically pleasing and clear. Most people won’t even notice them.
- Removable retainers cover all your teeth so that none of them move from their place once the orthodontic treatment is completed.
- Removable retainers can move easily if you are laughing. Sometimes, they can be thrown out of the mouth, which is very embarrassing.
- It is important to use your removable retainers correctly or they can shift the teeth.
- Removable retainers should be cleaned properly on regular basis, else they can start smelling, and you see buildup on them.
- You should replace your retainers to ensure hygiene and quality.
Whether you use fixed retainers or removable retainers, they require continual maintenance. With fixed retainers, you need to clean more frequently to avoid buildup and gums disease. There is no need to replace removable retainers every few years as they are long-lasting but require proper cleaning every day.
As you age, you see different changes in your body. Similarly, your teeth also move over time. When you invest in retainers, you can ensure getting your beautiful smile back. Now, if you want to choose the best orthodontic retainers and need expert help, then you can contact the team of “Peace of Mind Dental Studio.” The entire team is dedicated to offering you top-notch products to meet all your expectations.