knowledge for peace of mind
Would you like to straighten your teeth, but aren’t interested in traditional braces? We are a certified provider of SureSmile® Aligners to help you achieve your ideal smile faster, easier and more discretely than you ever thought possible.
what is a SureSmile® Aligner?
SureSmile Aligner is a series of transparent, removable and virtually invisible clear aligners designed to progressively straighten your teeth into their ideal position. You can regain your confidence with straighter teeth, fewer in-office visits and shorter checkups compared to traditional braces.
you may need a SureSmile® aligner …
You always wanted to straighten your teeth, but you weren’t prepared to impact your lifestyle with traditional metal braces. Or you previously had orthodontic treatment, but your teeth have shifted out of their proper alignment. SureSmile® Aligners have a laser-trimmed, precision fit to ensure they are comfortable to wear so you will barely notice them! Because SureSmile Aligners are easily removable, you can continue to eat your favorite foods. SureSmile Aligners are virtually invisible, and easy to keep clean, so you won’t have to change your lifestyle.
- if you’d like to straighten crooked teeth
- to remove gaps between teeth
- to adjust overlapping teeth
- if you’d like to address twisted teeth
- if you want to straighten your teeth but don’t want to change your lifestyle
- you’ve noticed your teeth shifting after orthodontic treatment when you were younger, and would like to reverse the process
what to expect during the SureSmile Aligner process
Straightening your teeth with SureSmile Aligners typically involves two initial appointments at our office, with shorter treatment visits for 6-18 months. Read on for timings and how to prepare.
At your first visit
At your initial consultation, we will assess your needs and recommend the best treatment plan for you. We will also discuss costs and any insurance options.
At your second visit
At your second visit we will take a series of high resolution photos of your face, as well as close up photos of your teeth–all from different angles (view examples here). In addition, we will take a digital impression of your teeth to create a 3-D model that allows us to analyze your bite from every angle possible. Using this model and state-of-the-art treatment planning software, movement of each tooth is calculated with unparalleled precision. We will also review your customized treatment plan.
further treatment visits
Once you collect your customized SureSmile Aligners, we will verify the fit and you can begin your treatment. According to your treatment plan, you will then have short visits until your treatment is complete. It typically takes 2 weeks for your teeth to move before you can switch to the next set of aligners.
advice & tips
No more metal mouth
You may have had a metal braces when you were younger–but things have changed a lot since then. The modern aligners are transparent and hard to detect visually! They are removable for eating and other situations where a traditional braces wouldn’t be ideal.
after you start wearing your aligners…
To ensure the best outcome for the procedure, it is important to:
- Wear your aligners for 20-22 hours a day.
- Attend the treatment visits on schedule to switch to the next set of aligners.
- Include cleaning your aligner in your daily hygiene routine. We will advise you on the best ways to clean, treat and store your mouth appliance.
- Practice the recommended oral hygiene measures–brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and use good flossing techniques.
- Visit the dentist for cleaning and checkups regularly.
You may notice…
It is important to let your dentist know if the aligner is causing any discomfort or issues after wearing. It’s not uncommon for patients to require minor adjustments after beginning regular use.
Suresmile aligner faqs
answering your questions about SureSmile® Aligners…
Do I have to wear a aligners all day?
For the shortest time to your perfect smile, wear them 20-22 hours each day, including while asleep.
How long with my aligner treatment take?
Since each person’s treatment plan is different, it’s hard to generalize how long your unique case may take. Treatment generally lasts anywhere from 6 to 18 months. What to expect:
- On average, plan on about 2-4 weeks from your initial scanning appointment to wearing your first aligners.
- Expect to wear each set of aligners for one to two weeks, as prescribed by the treatment plan we create.
- We will schedule your office visits depending upon the complexity of your case. Quite often you can expect to visit every 3 months. You may schedule short dental visits approximately every four weeks to check progress and pick up the next two sets of aligners.
- When you start wearing each new set of aligners, you can experience a snugger fit for a few days, which is normal.
- Retainers will be prescribed once your treatment plan is complete.
Do I have to clean my aligners?
Here’s some simple, easy-to-follow tips to best care for your aligners:
Do not store aligners near a heat source such as warm stoves, hot dashboards, hair dryers/curling irons and anything hot in your mouth like hot water or soup. This may cause them to distort, resulting in improper fit in your mouth.
- Use one case to store your “current stage” of aligners when they are not in your mouth. This can help you remember not to throw them away when you clear your lunch tray.
- Use the other case to store your “backup” aligners. These are the previous set of aligners that you just finished wearing. If your “current stage” aligner is lost or broken, your doctor may recommend that you temporarily use your “backup” aligners while a replacement for the “current stage” is made.
- To keep aligners invisible and well fitting, avoid using toothpaste/toothbrush, mouthwash, scented or colored soaps, and hot water that can soften, deform, scratch and discolor them.
- To safely and effectively clean, use Retainer Brite® products on your SureSmile aligners, follow the specific instructions for use provided with each Retainer Brite product. Never put Retainer Brite Cleaning Tablets or tablet solution in your mouth.
- Always clean your aligners before each insertion. Be sure to choose the Retainer Brite® cleaning method that fits your daily routine. SureSmile Aligners can be quickly cleaned while you shower, eat meals, or while you are out on-the-go.
- Keep brushing and flossing your teeth per your normal routine.
How much do SureSmile Aligners cost?
Because each case is different–some patients require more or less treatment–the total cost of your new smile will depend on your treatment plan. We will discuss cost, insurance options and payment plans with you during your initial consultation appointment.
What can I eat and drink with SureSmile Aligners?
One of the benefits of the SureSmile Aligners, is that you do not have to adjust your diet. As long as you remove your aligners, you may continue to eat and drink as normal. When wearing your aligners, you cannot eat or drink anything other than plain water. This is to prevent food getting trapped beneath your aligners, and pigments to discolor your transparent aligners.
Can I get SureSmile Aligners if I've had braces in the past?
SureSmile Aligners are a popular treatment for many adults who wore braces when they were younger, but want to correct teeth that have shifted since their orthodontic treatment was completed.